Free Graphics.

I will change that.

Pikachao Wrote:EDIT: Also, to the people who are saying "not just a crop down of a screenshot" how else are we supposed to get images from the anime for avatars or whatever? I mean of course you can add a couple effects or a tiny bit of brushing to an avatar but 100x100 or 120x120 is quite limited. Maybe not to the scale of an affiliate button or something but still rather limited in use before you end up distorting the picture too much.
For instance, to be honest, those two avatars you just posted, which were not really edited, do not constitute good screenshots. Therefore, if you want to make beautiful avatars with those screenshots, you really have to modify them more.

Of course you have to use a screenshot; I do not know what you misunderstood ...
Yeah, Kai-V got it. You can make good avatars just using screenshots, but:

1. The screenshot must be high quality. Yours isn't.
2. The cropping must be impeccable and it must be a good shot. Yours aren't.
(Apr. 22, 2009  10:44 PM)Kai-V Wrote: For instance, to be honest, those two avatars you just posted, which were not really edited, do not constitute good screenshots. Therefore, if you want to make beautiful avatars with those screenshots, you really have to modify them more.

I just picked up the first screenshots I could find, so I see your point that screenshots should be better. I do not, however, agree that editing them lots is always best. I find that simple things done right, can usually be more effective than complicated things done wrong.

Then again maybe I just see a lot of things where people have spammed photoshop filters without much thought or compiled completely random tutorials. =/

I know they're not the best avatars in any way, but you've also got to admit that they're better than some of the terribly resized, bad quality unbordered images you see on most message boards too. Wink
[Image: Daidouji_Hair2.gif]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v106/K..._Hair2.gif

There is still a slight pause, but whatever ...

Pikachao Wrote:I do not, however, agree that editing them lots is always best. I find that simple things done right, can usually be more effective than complicated things done wrong.

Then again maybe I just see a lot of things where people have spammed photoshop filters without much thought or compiled completely random tutorials. =/

I know they're not the best avatars in any way, but you've also got to admit that they're better than some of the terribly resized, bad quality unbordered images you see on most message boards too.
"More" is more than what you did; more than something that was done carelessly. We have to be artists.
Yeah, that looks much better, Smile
The pause doesn't really make a huge difference, it doesn't make it look odd or anything.
(Apr. 22, 2009  6:16 PM)Pikachao Wrote: I mean of course you can add a couple effects or a tiny bit of brushing to an avatar but 100x100 or 120x120 is quite limited. Maybe not to the scale of an affiliate button or something but still rather limited in use before you end up distorting the picture too much.

You need to find a way to work within the constraints. There is so much that you can do, just take a look at Kai-V's and my own avatar.
You can use the pen tool to cut the character out from the background. This is what I do a lot. Just play with Photoshop and learn some techniques from tutorials. This is how everybody starts out. I've been using Photoshop for 5 years now and I'm still learning new things. Try to steer away from using brush affects, you can get better textures etc from stock photos lying around the net.
Lol I use GIMPs magic wand but sometimes its annoying D:

My avatar is good and all I did was quickly made it greyscale and cropped it. simples. Smile
(Apr. 23, 2009  3:58 PM)Driger Wrote: Lol I use GIMPs magic wand but sometimes its annoying D:

My avatar is good and all I did was quickly made it greyscale and cropped it. simples. Smile

Did you crop it or just resize it? It looks squashed. I also don't think greyscale looks like the best effect for it, I find it usually works better with backgrounds greyscale and then adding the things at the front in colour. Try leaving the little boy (I'm sorry, I don't know his name) in colour. It might look even better than it already does! ^^

Also, magic wand tool is usually really bad unless the image has been pre-rendered.

EDIT: if kai-V could link the original image I could work out how he changed it.

To me it looks like a soft brush around the edge at about 80% transparency and some text tilted with a drop shadow or the same text again with transparency further down, then again I may not be seeing the changed he's made because I don't have the original image. I also see either colour burn or the burn tool on the character's shirt.

When I made my espeon avatar I tried to break the mould with the text and how I added the shadow overlays but then cut the text out of the overlay. ^^

(Apr. 23, 2009  12:30 PM)BeyUK-Espio Wrote: Just play with Photoshop and learn some techniques from tutorials. This is how everybody starts out.

I know, I started out like that a few years back, I only practice and learn new things very occasionally though, I don't make things all the time.
(Apr. 23, 2009  5:46 PM)Pikachao Wrote: EDIT: if kai-V could link the original image I could work out how he changed it.
Kei's ?

http://www.cybertigeranime.com/bbspirit/...ure&id=982
(Apr. 24, 2009  12:24 AM)Kai-V Wrote: Kei's ?

http://www.cybertigeranime.com/bbspirit/...ure&id=982

I meant your avatar not Kei's. =/
(Apr. 26, 2009  12:49 PM)Pikachao Wrote: I meant your avatar not Kei's. =/
I do not know why, but when people refer to me as "he", it is as if I were not particularly listening. Plus, you talked about Kei's avatar right after; unless that was actually about my avatar, in which case the only really accurate part of your hypothesis is that part of the text is tilted.

[Image: KaiV_Avatar4_LPicture.jpg]
Not to be rude but are you going to make a Kenta one? Cute
(Apr. 23, 2009  5:46 PM)Pikachao Wrote: Did you crop it or just resize it? It looks squashed. I also don't think greyscale looks like the best effect for it, I find it usually works better with backgrounds greyscale and then adding the things at the front in colour. Try leaving the little boy (I'm sorry, I don't know his name) in colour. It might look even better than it already does! ^^

Also, magic wand tool is usually really bad unless the image has been pre-rendered.

EDIT: if kai-V could link the original image I could work out how he changed it.

To me it looks like a soft brush around the edge at about 80% transparency and some text tilted with a drop shadow or the same text again with transparency further down, then again I may not be seeing the changed he's made because I don't have the original image. I also see either colour burn or the burn tool on the character's shirt.

When I made my espeon avatar I tried to break the mould with the text and how I added the shadow overlays but then cut the text out of the overlay. ^^

I know, I started out like that a few years back, I only practice and learn new things very occasionally though, I don't make things all the time.

Yeah it looks squashed because I never kept the aspect ratio when I smooth scaled it... :\
I have never seen Kenta do something 'cool' enough for it to be worth an animated avatar. I can try to make still avatars though.
Please could I have still avatar then, sorry if I seem demanding.
from last nights episode, I think an infinite loop of Benkei stuffing burgers into his mouth would make a decently amusing avatar. Grin
Yeah that would be awesome. XD

Also, for like a month I just assumed that the Left Beylauncher L was holding was a teabag. XD
(Apr. 26, 2009  1:40 PM)Crimson Wrote: from last nights episode, I think an infinite loop of Benkei stuffing burgers into his mouth would make a decently amusing avatar. Grin
I will probably be able to make it on Tuesday.

Rocky Wrote:Also, for like a month I just assumed that the Left Beylauncher L was holding was a teabag.
L is holding Launcher L.

Driger, I will make several Kenta avatars then.
Dibs on the Benkai one Grin
I am a Taurean after all...
Thanks Kai-V!
(Apr. 21, 2009  8:45 PM)Pikachao Wrote: Made this quickly, been looking for a use for those photoshop stock brushes for a while because I always end up using custom ones. =]

[Image: mapleavi.png]

Anyone can use it. If it's rubbish just tell me and I'll remove it, I see you only want quality contributions.
However, I like your Avatar...
(Apr. 26, 2009  1:40 PM)Crimson Wrote: from last nights episode, I think an infinite loop of Benkei stuffing burgers into his mouth would make a decently amusing avatar. Grin

lastnight's episode is basically avatar gold
Haha, awesome. I might just use that middle one. Can I ?
(Apr. 27, 2009  2:40 AM)Kai-V Wrote: [Image: Benkei_HamburgerAvatar1.gif] [Image: Benkei_HamburgerAvatar2.gif] [Image: Benkei_HamburgerAvatar3.gif]

Priceless, absolutely priceless.