Computer viruses!

Poll: Have you ever goten a computer virus?

Yes
82.99%
No
17.01%
Total: 100% 147 vote(s)
Wow, that anti-virus is good. No annoying pop-ups whatsoever, and it just cleaned out 2 threats in like a second. KASPERSKY, would have took like 5 minutes.. zzz And, it would've used upto half the screen. --

Thanks Hazel~
Oh carp. I had a SERIOUS one one mai old computer that made there be two screens like a ds.
It was a Dell. But that's kinda what you expect,right?
(Mar. 30, 2012  2:36 AM)Hazel Wrote:
(Mar. 30, 2012  1:41 AM)hammer hades Wrote: My local techie that upgraded my computer told me never to update yor computer, and also downloaded FREE AVG for me which has been really helpful, gotten rid of like 7 or 8 trojans for me, and even has a virus vault to contain viruses.

AVG is garbage nowadays. Microsoft Security Essentials is the best straight up antivirus, and it's best complimented by MalwareBytes and SUPERAntispyware.

(Mar. 29, 2012  1:50 AM)Crab Commando Wrote: I have a laptop that HAS to stay plugged in, or else it goes from 100% battery to 1% in a few minutes...

This is not a virus, this is a dead battery.
I disagree AVG is awesome I got that and Malewarebytes and lemme tell you AVG saved my butt from rootkits and trojans and has blocked threats and what not for me.
(Mar. 30, 2012  6:09 PM)famemonster8 Wrote: Oh carp. I had a SERIOUS one one mai old computer that made there be two screens like a ds.
It was a Dell. But that's kinda what you expect,right?

Make of computer has nothing to do with anything concerning Viruses...

Clonetos, AVG was once a great antivirus, but that day has long since passed. It is inferior, in every single possible way, to Microsoft Security Essentials, and now actually tends to have the least significant database updates and some of the most interfering problems. This is not a matter upon which an opinion can be had, it is simple fact.
I disagree with the WSE option. Even doing a google on top 10 anti-virus for 2012...it is NEVER listed as amazing or in the top 10. If you want a quality free anti-virus then try Avast 7 free for PC.
(Mar. 31, 2012  9:00 PM)BeyUK-Espio Wrote: I disagree with the WSE option. Even doing a google on top 10 anti-virus for 2012...it is NEVER listed as amazing or in the top 10. If you want a quality free anti-virus then try Avast 7 free for PC.

Polls like this rarely ever include input from people who actually know what they're talking about, much like any given poll you're going to find on google. When I was shopping for a new anti-virus, the only thing I ever saw recommended, by actual technicians and people who run support boards and so forth, was MSE. After getting it, I immediately understood why, and I have not had one single problem with it.

Avast has compatibility issues with tons of random programs, and is actually quite notorious for interfering with... pretty much everything that involves an active connection to the internet. Any kind of patch server for online games, for example. There are many online games where most users have to outright disable Avast entirely to even get them to work, in fact, unless Avast has stopped being horrible in the last year or so since I heard anything but the same about it.
Yes, MSE is made for Microsoft, so it is most compatible with it. It is suppose to be used with Windows, so thats why it has so little errors. Plus, Microsoft has the money to make it as best as they can/want.
i use avg it stopped all the virus i have had so far on a side note

perfect song for this thread
Haha, Weird Al is great.
Anyway, what malware infects computers most often? Is there a specific one?
No, there isn't. They affect computers vurnable to them. Their are too many viruses to list, so they dont have a list of the Top 10, but you can find more info online about common viruses.
I got virus's from some thread on this site.
(Apr. 06, 2012  12:36 AM)TheInGreek Wrote: I got virus's from some thread on this site.

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you clicked a spambot link.
Hazel-Pretty sure he did. There is basically no way you can upload a file other than an image (which is a link) to a thread. I wonder if he reported it or not ... and if he remembered how he got the virus ...
I knew it was a lin. Probably in the beyblade general threads.

TBH i had a horrible virus protection on my dell. QFT.
My mum's laptop once had a virus from a MacAfee update, it was in PC World for few months. It's had many viruses after that, but I can't remember the names of the site...
I don't think its the Mcafee update. I think because of the update it was able to detect the virus once hidden on your moms computer.
(Apr. 07, 2012  1:13 PM)Nimda Wrote: I don't think its the Mcafee update. I think because of the update it was able to detect the virus once hidden on your moms computer.

Let me explain, when we got the update the laptop wouldn't log on, so we took it to PC world and the person who was telling it was said: "You've got the MacAfee Virus." my mum went mad...

Well how did you update the Mcafee software? Did you do the update directly from the Mcafee or somewhere else, like a website?
(Apr. 04, 2012  2:14 AM)Nimda Wrote: No, there isn't. They affect computers vurnable to them. Their are too many viruses to list, so they dont have a list of the Top 10, but you can find more info online about common viruses.
Oh, ok. Are there any viruses that can reprogram (legit) anti-virus programs?
I've got a friend who's Norton Security told him he had hundreds of critical viruses headed towards his computer. It didn't seem quite normal, to be honest.
I suppose this is similar to the McAfee thing everybody is talking about on this thread. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Some viruses can shut down your anti virus but I don't think they can do anything else. I think your friends computer is either being hacked were a hacker is sending viruses towards him or he is on a website trying to download programs wirlth viruses in them. Correct me if I am wrong. Also, I don't think it is similar to the cases with the Mcfee.
Nimda, actual "hacking" is an incredibly rare thing involving civilians - you have to really anger the wrong damn person to ever be at risk of "being hacked".

The most likely thing is he's either got ahold of a virus that is hijacking his browser and forcing him to visit infected sites, or his Norton is just freaking out over something - Norton is known for going haywire at the slightest provocation, and occasionally one or two viruses will send it into a frenzy.
Opps. Sorry. Sorry I was using the wrong words. And yes, Norton is basically sensitive to viruses. It acts like someone on fire... anyways, again, has anyone tried ESET yet? I might consider buying it...
(Apr. 07, 2012  2:36 PM)Nimda Wrote: Well how did you update the Mcafee software? Did you do the update directly from the Mcafee or somewhere else, like a website?

Directly from MacAfee...